June 21st is a day every father with a child old enough to buy a present has been waiting for. It’s good to be prepared with a present, but unfortunately that’s not always the case! So if you haven’t prepared a present, or even if you have, we’ve created a pack of beautiful graphics you can use to create a nice card for Father’s Day.
Before I give you the link to the graphics (which you can pick up at the end of this article), I want to share with you 10 fun facts for Father’s Day. One of them could be your fun fact for the day 🙂
- Father’s Day was first celebrated in 1910 in Spokane, Washington. A person called Sonora Dodd came up with the idea. It happened to be the same month as her Father’s birthday, so maybe she just wanted to give him an extra special birthday present for him.
- In the 1920’s and 1930’s there was actually a movement to get rid of Father’s Day and Mother’s Day. They wanted to replace it with just one day, Parent’s Day. I’m glad they weren’t successful.
- In the US, spending on Father’s Day will reach approximately $12.7 billion, or approximately $117 per Dad. That’s half the amount of money spent on Mother’s Day btw.
- Father’s Day is the fourth biggest event in the year for buying cards. If you want to know the top three, they are: Christmas, Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day.
- About 20% of Father’s Day cards are actually bought by the spouse, so less of a Father’s Day present and more of a good husband present.
- On Father’s Day in Germany it is traditional for men to spend all day in the beer garden drinking and eating regional food. Needless to say paramedics are on high alert throughout the day.
- In Thailand, Father’s Day is actually celebrated in December on the date of the King’s birthday. In Brazil Father’s Day is celebrated in August in honor of Mary’s Father, St. Joachim. It’s a nice example of how international celebrations have been adapted to local customs.
- Father’s Day became a national holiday in the United States in 1972, 62 years after the first Father’s Day was celebrated.
- Traditionally fathers should be given a gift of either a red or white rose. Wearing a white rose signifies the father has died, while a red rose is used to celebrate a living father.
- The most popular gift for father’s day is a tie (is that what you bought?).
I hope these 10 fun facts have brightened up your day. We hope you enjoy the custom-made graphics pack even more (our designers have been working super hard to create them for you).
Click here to download the pack.
Hope you have a great day.